Pest Prevention Checklist
1. DON'T PROVIDE A WATER SOURCE
- Clean up spills immediately.
- Keep sink areas clean and dry after use.
- Clean and dry mops and buckets after each use.
- Repair dripping faucets, clogged drains or plumbing leaks as soon as possible.
2. KEEP PESTS OUTSIDE WHERE THEY BELONG
- Thoroughly check items that are common transportation for pests including plants, firewood and even groceries before bringing them inside the home.
- Seal any gaps around exterior doors and ensure they close completely after entry or exit.
- Make sure all windows have screens that are free of holes or tears and are secured properly.
- Ensure any gaps around window frames are properly sealed.
- Store outdoor garbage receptacles away from the home and make sure lids fit securely.
- Seal cracks and crevices around entry points for wiring and pipes with caulk.
3. DON'T PROVIDE AN INVITING HOME
- Regularly inspect your pantry and cupboards for holes in packaging or walls and insect/rodent droppings.
- Store all paper products including boxes and bags in a dry area, at least six inches off the floor and away from the wall.
- Keep trash and recycling collection areas clean and dry.
- Remove all trash and recycling at least once a week.
4. DON'T PROVIDE A FOOD SOURCE
- Keep food in sealed, air-tight containers.
- Wipe down countertops after use and make sure they stay crumb free.
- Rinse food containers before discarding.
- Clean kitchen appliances after each use.
- Make sure your inside trash receptacle is clean, has a secure fitting cover and place all garbage in sealed plastic bags.